Article by John Rzasa
The white dress is the symbol of bridal beauty. Getting the perfect wedding gown is often the most stressful and anticipated part of planning your wedding. Here are five tips for getting the best dress for you.
Be realistic about size.
- Wedding gowns run small in sizing. The size on the label
almost never matches what you wear in a day dress. Don't
let this scare you or make you "feel fat". The
sizing is just different.
Be willing to try several different styles.
- You will probably try on dozens of dresses before you find the right one. Be patient and open-minded. Your dress consultant is trained to fit you and help you select the dress that will make you look your best.
Don't expect the dress to fit perfectly at the first fitting.
- Most women require alterations to wedding gowns. It's normal for straps to need tightening, bust lines to be let out and hems to be shortened. Think of this step as custom fitting just for you.
Know your comfort level.
- You need to feel like a million bucks in your wedding dress. Comfort is more than just how it fits. Your comfort level depends on what you are spending and what you expect. If a dress feels too expensive or shows too much skin, don't be afraid to say no.
- Above all, when shopping for your wedding dress, have fun doing it. Take your friends. Take your mom. And take lots of pictures.
Tips for getting the perfect Wedding Dress
Where to Buy Your Dress
Where you buy your dress depends on a few factors:
- Brides on a slim budget may want to get creative in their dress shopping - secondhand stores, online auctions and/or online wholesalers are going to give you the best deals.
- If you want a designer dress, you may have to shop in that designer's boutique or at a higher-end dress store.
- If you want to go this route, you will need to find a tailor or seamstress that specializes in wedding gowns. They will help you select a pattern and make changes or alterations based on your likes and figure.
- Beach wedding dresses don't always come from a traditional formalwear shop. Look in beach specialty shops, department stores and online for flowery, simple dresses perfect for a beach wedding.
Back to Articles Main Page